Breakfast on the brain? This delicious morning meal is not only packed with delicious flavor, it is chalk full of anti-inflammatory ingredients that are key in promoting brain health.
Ingredients and Brain Boosting Facts:
- Turmeric – Turmeric is a natural anti-inflammatory, antioxidant,
- Chai Tea – packed with powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant agents. Also helps support digestion after meals with it’s combination of black pepper, ginger, and cinnamon spices.
- Coconut Milk or Almond Milk – Dairy free, contains healthy fats
- Chia Seed – High in Omega 3’s (fatty acids), fiber, high antioxidant profile, and contain a good source of minerals such as calcium, magnesium and manganese. For this recipe, you will first steep the Chai Tea and the Turmeric together in coconut milk. If you don’t have a large French press jar, feel free to use a stove top.
Turmeric contains a compound called curcumin, a bright yellow element, which gives turmeric its golden color. Curcumin is incredibly beneficial for its anti-inflammatory properties.
- 16 oz coconut or almond drinking milk
- 2 chai tea bags
- 1–2 tsp turmeric
- pinch of cinnamon
- 1 tbsp maple syrup or raw honey
- 2 + tbsp chia seed (divided)
- 1 Large Banana
- 1 Cup of Blueberries
- ¼ cup gluten free oats
- First, heat the milk on a stove top or in the microwave. Place chai tea, turmeric, and cinnamon in a pot or heat resistant jar and steep for 3-4 minutes. If using stove top, let the milk come to a quick boil then reduce and simmer for 2-3 minutes, 4 minutes all together.
- Remove tea bags and whisk together.
- Pour chai turmeric latte liquid mixture into a blender along with 1 tbsp chia, honey or maple syrup, gluten free oats. Blend together and pour into a large jar. Mix in the extra 1 tbsp chia seed (add an extra 1 tbsp if you want a chia pudding like texture).
- Place the jar in fridge to cool and thicken; 2 hours or overnight
- Pour smoothie into 2 bowls and top with more cinnamon, and bananas and blueberries (optional).