Breakfast on the brain? This delicious morning meal is not only packed with delicious flavor, but it’s also chock-full of anti-inflammatory ingredients that are key in promoting brain health.
Ingredients and Brain Boosting Facts
- Turmeric – Turmeric is a natural anti-inflammatory, antioxidant. Turmeric contains a compound called curcumin, a bright yellow element, which gives turmeric its golden color. Curcumin is incredibly beneficial for its anti-inflammatory properties.
- Chai Tea – This tea is full of potent anti-inflammatory and antioxidant agents. It helps support digestion after meals with its combination of black pepper, ginger, and cinnamon spices. For this recipe, you will first steep the Chai Tea and turmeric together in coconut milk. If you don’t have a large French press jar, feel free to use a stovetop.
- Coconut Milk or Almond Milk – Dairy-free, containing healthy fats
- Chia Seeds – High in Omega 3’s (fatty acids) and fiber, high antioxidant profile, and a good source of minerals such as calcium, magnesium, and manganese.
- 16 oz. coconut or almond drinking milk
- Two chai tea bags
- 1–2 tsp turmeric
- Pinch of cinnamon
- 1 tbsp. maple syrup or raw honey
- 2+ tbsp. chia seeds (divided)
- 1 large banana
- 1 cup of blueberries
- ¼ cup gluten-free oats
- First, heat the milk on a stovetop or in the microwave. Place chai tea, turmeric, and cinnamon in a pot or heat-resistant jar and steep for 3-4 minutes. If using the stovetop, let the milk come to a quick boil and then reduce and simmer for 2-3 minutes, 4 minutes altogether
- Remove tea bags and whisk together
- Pour the combined chai, turmeric latte mixture into a blender along with 1 tbsp. chia, honey or maple syrup, gluten-free oats. Blend together and pour into a large jar. Mix in the extra 1 tbsp. chia seeds (add an extra 1 tbsp. if you want a chia pudding-like texture).
- Place the jar in the fridge to cool and thicken; 2 hours or leave overnight
- Pour smoothie into two bowls and top with more cinnamon, bananas, and blueberries (optional)